Tips for keeping your fresh holiday greenery looking its best!
Keep it Fresh
Since the holiday season spans several weeks, it's important to get the most out of your fresh-cut holiday greenery. Below are some simple tips to do just that!
- Purchase greenery that is bright green in color, is slightly flexible (bends a little) and does not lose a lot of needles when you pick it up.
- Evergreens prefer cooler temperatures and will last longer outdoors (e.g. on your front door, etc.). Keep them outdoors until you are ready to use them inside (if applicable).
- When used indoors, keep fresh-cut greenery away from direct sunlight and heat sources.
- Prior to displaying garlands and wreaths indoors, soak them in a tub overnight so they can absorb as much water as possible.
- Holly leaves will discolor if they are exposed to extreme temperatures and prefer a temperature range of 32 to 60 degrees F.
- If you plan to add lights to your greenery, we recommend using LED lights as they are cooler in temperature; do NOT use candles.
- Check greenery for freshness every couple of days. Remove areas that are dropping needles or that are brown.
- Gently mist greenery with water every couple of days or so.
- If you put greenery in a vase, change the water every couple of days. There is no need to add any preservatives to the water.
- Consider spraying your fresh-cut greenery with Wilt Stop. See below to learn more.
- And last but not least, avoid greenery with poisonous berries if you have children or pets.
Bonide's Wilt Stop protects plants from drying out, drought, wind burn, sunscald, winter kill, transplant shock and salt damage. Wilt Stop also extends the life of cut flowers, Christmas trees and and holiday greenery. Great for use year round on deciduous trees, evergreens, shrubs, roses, transplants, vegetables and fruits. Made with natural ingredients.
Questions?Have more questions about holiday greenery or plants in general? Stop by your local SummerWinds Nursery and speak with one of our Trusted Garden Advisors.
About SummerWinds Nursery: SummerWinds Garden Centers is a leading high-end retailer of garden and nursery products. Headquartered in Boise, Idaho, SummerWinds operates retail nurseries in the greater Phoenix, Arizona area, and in Silicon Valley, California, making it one of the largest independent retail nursery companies in the nation. SummerWinds appeals to both the serious and casual gardeners, with a broad selection of premium gardening products and a friendly and knowledgeable staff. www.summerwindsnursery.com