Gorgeous Rose Blooms Can Be Yours
Beautiful roses start with soils and fertilizers designed just for their needs and continue with easy, periodic care. At SummerWinds Nursery, we have all the tools you need to help you plant, grow and care for your roses so they can be as healthy and vibrant as possible.
Rose Planting Kit
For stunning roses, we recommend the following high-quality products:
- Rose & Flower Potting or Planting (by E.B. Stone Organics) - A versatile mix that can be used as a ready-to-use potting
soil or as a soil amendment. This slightly acidic, 100% natural and organic mix was blended specifically for growing roses and flowers.
Registered CDFA organic input material.
- Rose & Flower Food 5-6-3 (by E.B. Stone Organics) - A blend of quality ingredients specifically designed to encourage healthy growth and flowering in roses, perennials and other flowering plants. An excellent source of slow-release nitrogen this fertilizer contains: Blood Meal, Feather Meal, Bone Meal, Dried Chicken Manure, Bat Guano, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, Potassium Sulfate, Humic Acids and Soil Microbes (including Mycorrhizal Fungi). Registered CDFA organic input material.
Winter Rose Care
In January, we recommend the following care for optimal roses:
1. Prune back your roses.
2. In the following order, apply these items to your roses to condition the soil and promote sturdy spring blooms:
- Alfalfa Meal 2-0-3 (by E.B. Stone Organics) - A gentle organic fertilizer that is an ideal supplement for all planting types. Offers a natural and organic source of readily available nutrients for your garden plants. An ideal supplement to your regular fertilizing, as well as for flower and rose gardens, and vegetable beds. Add to compost piles to help accelerate decomposition. Registered CDFA organic input material. Apply according to label.
- Sul Po Mag 0-0-20 (by E.B. Stone Naturals) - Also known as langbenite, Sul Po Mag is a naturally occurring crystalline material. An excellent source of readily available sulfur, potassium and magnesium. Contains Sulfate of Potash Magnesia. Apply according to label.
- Earthworm Castings (by E.B. Stone Organics) - A natural organic soil conditioner that helps loosen hard soils, improve soil aeration and conserve water. An excellent addition to native soils. Registered CDFA organic input material. We recommend adding a 1/8" - 1/4" layer.
- Rose & Flower Potting or Planting (by E.B. Stone Organics) - See above description. Finally, we recommend adding a 1/2" to 1" layer around the drip line of the plant in a 2-3 ft. diameter.
Rose Care Accessories
Ensure your overall rose maintenance is a breeze... Stop by your local SummerWinds Nursery to pick up your rose gloves and pruners today.
Planting & Care
Here are some overall tips for the planning and care of most roses. For details about the care of the specific rose varieties in your garden, speak with one of our Trusted Garden Advisors today.
- Light Needs: Plant your roses in full sun (an area that receives a minimum of 6 hours of sun.)
- Spacing: Don't crowd your roses when you plant. Roses prefer some airflow, which will help to prevent diseases.
- Multitasking Mulch: A couple of inches of mulch over the soil surrounding your plant will help deter weeds, help keep diseases from splashing up on the leaves or your roses and will help your roses hold moisture in between waterings.
- Compost: A healthy layer of organic material, such as compost, will encourage beneficial microbes, in addition to maintaining or improving the health of your roses.
- Bonide Rose Rx (32 oz. RTU) - This insecticide, miticide and fungicide kills eggs, larvae and adult pests. For use on roses and flowers, as well as fruit, nuts, vegetables, herbs, spices, houseplants, trees and shrubs.
Other Rose Care Accessories
At SummerWinds, we offer additional accessories to help you tend to your beautiful roses, including pruners and gloves:
- Corona ClassicCUT® Branch & Stem 1-Inch Pruners - Resharpenable, replaceable high-carbon steel blades, high-precision pivot bolt and locking nut keep blade and hook aligned, fully forged steel construction for maximum strength, comfortable handle with contoured non-slip grips fit various hand sizes, one handed lock operation, and a limited lifetime warranty.
- BOSS® Garden Angel® Extended Sleeve Synthetic Leather Ladie's Garden Gloves - Wing thumb; padded, synthetic leather palm; fingertip grips on middle, index and thumb; stretchable back for comfort and fit; and long cuffs that protect forearms.
Click on the buttons below to learn more about roses and how to care for them.