Soils, Amendments & Fertilizers
One key element to determining the success of your plants is using the right soil. There are many components to maintaining the ideal garden soil for your plants. Knowing what type of soil your plants need, what type of soil you have, how to amend and fertilize your soil and what options you have for organic pest control will ensure your plants flourish. The experts at SummerWinds Nursery can help you navigate all of these choices. They can help you select the best organic soil, choose between organic fertilizer and nitrogen fertilizer and offer many options for organic pesticides.
SummerWinds Nursery sells a variety of ready-to-use garden soils designed for specific applications:
- African Violet Mix (by E.B. Stone Organics) – best for all varieties of indoor flowers. Contains: Fir Bark, Aged Redwood and Sand. Registered cdfa.
- Azalea, Camellia & Gardenia Planting Mix (by E.B. Stone Organics) – good for a soil amendment or potting soil. Recommended for use with evergreens, ferns, rhododendrons, begonias and other plants that prefer acidic soil. Registered cdfa.
- Bonsai Planting Mix (by E.B. Stone Organics) – great for indoor use and outdoor use for all bonsai plants. Registered cdfa.
- Cactus & Succulent Potting or Planting Mix (by E.B. Stone Organics) – this versatile mix can be used straight out of the bag as a potting soil, or as a soil amendment. Designed for all types of succulents and cacti, indoors or outdoors. Contains extra pumice for superior drainage. Registered cdfa.
- Orchid Mix (by E.B. Stone Organics) – soil that is tailored to the needs of orchids. Registered cdfa.
- Seed Starter Mix (by E.B. Stone Organics) – This lightweight organic soil mix is ideal for starting seeds and rooting cuttings.Registered cdfa. Pair this with E.B. Stone Organics Sure Start fertilizer.
Potting Soil – We offer several brands of Potting Soil:
- SummerWinds Organic Potting Soil (developed with E.B. Stone Organics) – Great for all indoor and outdoor container gardening. Now registered Organic cdfa! For best results, use with E.B. Stone’s Sure Start starter fertilizer.
- Citrus & Palm Potting or Planting Soil (E.B. Stone Organics) – The perfect mix for all citrus, palms and other
tropical plants. Blended to provide excellent aeration and water retention for thriving plants. Contains aged fir bark, lava
rock, Canadian sphagnum peat moss, and pumice. Registered cdfa. Pair this with E.B. Stone Organics Citrus & Fruit Tree Food.
- Farmer Greg's Tree & Garden Planting Mix – This specially mixed recipe makes an excellent planting medium for
new trees, gardens and container planting. An ideal mix of compost and decomposed pine bark, as well as horticultural perlite and
organic prococo coconut coir for optimal aeration and water absorption. Contains OMRI-listed organic ingredients.
- Ocean Forest® Potting Soil (by FoxFarm) – This popular garden soil blend has everything your plants need to thrive
in your garden. Contains a powerhouse blend of aged forest products, sphagnum peat moss, earthworm castings, bat guano, fish emulsion
and crab meal.
- Recipe 420 Potting Soil (by E.B. Stone Organics) – Made with
the best ingredients available, this soil works well with container gardens both indoors and outdoors. An all-natural organic soil
that helps retain moisture and helps with aeration. This garden soil promotes strong root and top growth. Registered cdfa.
Pair this soil with E.B. Stone Organics Sure Start fertilizer for best results.
- Rose Grow Planting Mix (by E.B. Stone Organics) – This organic soil mix
is designed to be used as both a planting mix for roses and as a stand-alone potting soil for perfectly suited for roses. Pair with E.B. Stone Organics Rose and Flower Food.
- Strawberry Fields® Potting Soil (by FoxFarm) - This fruiting and flowering potting soil is designed to pump up your blooms, fruits and berries. Contains 35-45% coco fibre, sphagnum peat moss, aged forest products, perlite, fertilizer (0.5-0.3-0.3, from earthworm castings, bat guano, oyster shell and dolomite lime) and mycorrhizae.
You can fix existing poor soil by amending it with missing nutrients. SummerWinds Nursery sells a number of soil amendments, including:
- SummerWinds Natural & Organic Planting Mix (developed with E.B. Stone Organics) – This all-purpose natural and Organic transplanting mix is ideal for all types of flowers, vegetables and ornamentals, including annuals,
perennials, ground covers, shrubs, fruit and shade trees. Now registered cdfa! For Best results, pair with E.B. Stone Organics Sure Start fertilizer.
- Bio-Flora® Compost Exclusive Composted Nutrients – Designed to meet the highest standards for compost amending soil.
- Chicken Manure (by E.B. Stone Naturals) – Works as both a fertilizer and soil amendment. Great for starting a new garden.
- Citrus & Palm Planting Mix (by E.B. Stone Organics) – Ideal mix for all citrus, palms
and other tropicals. Blended to provide excellent aeration and water retention so that your plants thrive. Can be used on its own as a
potting mix for citrus, palms and tropical plants. Registered cdfa.
- Happy Frog® Soil Conditioner (by FoxFarm) – This hand blended soil conditioner helps to reduce the acidity in soil, loosen clay soil and aids in healthy root development.
- HuMic Granular Humic Acid (by Fertilome) – A highly concentrated soil conditioner that makes a great soil amendment for use in vegetable gardens, flower beds, indoor plants and compost bins. Derived from the remains of decomposed organic plant materials, humic acids enhance nutrient uptake, stimulate soil microbial life and encourage root development.
- Organic Compost (by E.B. Stone Organics)– Ideal for anything from vegetable gardens to
flower beds, shrubs and trees, this compost helps loosen soil, adds organic matter and encourages strong root growth. Also a good seed
cover for lawns. Registered cdfa.
- Raised Bed & Potting Mix (by E.B. Stone Organics) – An ideal soil for any raised bed. Can be used alone or mixed with garden soil. Designed with carefully selected, premium ingredients. Registered cdfa.
- Soil Booster (by E.B. Stone Organics) – A unique blend of 100 percent natural and organic ingredients designed to create the ideal soil conditions for your herbs, vegetables and flowers to reach their full potential. Can be used as a soil conditioner to break up hard clay soil, and to add organic material to help sandy soils hold onto water and retain nutrients. Registered cdfa.
- Soil Conditioner & Seed Cover (by SummerWinds) – This 100% Organic composted mulch will help turn hard packed clay soil into a richer more productive soil in which flowers and vegetables will thrive. When used in sandy soil, it aids in the retention of moisture, which reduces the frequency of watering and feeding of plants. An excellent cover for newly seeded lawns. Helps seeds germinate by retaining moisture.
- Top Soil Plus (by E.B. Stone Naturals) – A unique blend of sandy loam, redwood compost and mushroom compost. This general purpose soil mixture was developed for virtually any outdoor use—as a fill material in a garden area that needs rebuilding or as a soil conditioner in the garden. For best results, use one part Top Soil to one part native soil in any gardening application. Because it doesn’t contain any nutrient value, we recommend using it in conjunction with an E. B. Stone fertilizer (such as their All Purpose Plant Food) to organically fertilize your entire garden.
- Grow It Coco Coir Mix – Retains up to 8 times as much water as regular soil and improves aeration. Use indoors or out as a water-smart alternative to traditional potting mixes. Ideal for houseplants, tropicals, flower beds and hydroponics.
- Gypsum – Gypsum
is particularly good for tomatoes due to its calcium content. At SummerWinds Nursery, we offer three types of Gypsum:
- Arizona’s Best Gypsum – helps neutralize soil, loosen compact soils and promotes strong root growth. Gypsum has a
natural slow release component and thus can be used as an amendment before planting or to amend soil any time of year.
- Arizona’s Best Lawn & Garden Gypsum –Works well to loosen compact soil and clay and improves drainage and moisture retention.
- E.B. Stone Naturals Granular Gypsum - supplies calcium and sulfur to the soil. Used to help overcome alkali soils and to loosen clay or adobe soils.
- Arizona’s Best Gypsum – helps neutralize soil, loosen compact soils and promotes strong root growth. Gypsum has a natural slow release component and thus can be used as an amendment before planting or to amend soil any time of year.
- Lava Sand – We offer two brands of Lava Sand:
- The Organic Garden Guy’s Lava Sand Extreme Soil Builder – This all natural, lava sand soil builder is earth-friendly.
This product absorbs nutrients and water and then slowly releases them back into the soil without affecting the pH value of the
soil. Encourages root growth and excellent drainage.
- Nature’s Way Lava Sand – Helps to retain moisture and nutrients for all types of plants. Can be used once a year as a mineral supplement or as a top dressing for fresh sod.
- The Organic Garden Guy’s Lava Sand Extreme Soil Builder – This all natural, lava sand soil builder is earth-friendly. This product absorbs nutrients and water and then slowly releases them back into the soil without affecting the pH value of the soil. Encourages root growth and excellent drainage.
- Peat Moss – We
offer two brands of Peat Moss:
- Perlite – We offer two types of Perlite:
- E.B. Stone Organics Perlite – Excellent for loosening up potting mixes. Pair with E.B. Stone Organics Seed Starter Mix.
- Uni-Gro® Perlite – Ready to use perlite will work with all plants as well as seed starting. Can be blended with soil to increase aeration.
- Play Sand – GardenTime Play Sand is great for kid’s sandboxes and also as a mortar or base material for bricks and pavers. This is a super fine-grained sand comparable to what you see on the beach.
- Soil Sulfur – We offer three types of Soil Sulfur:
- E.B. Stone Naturals Soil Sulfur – This essential plant nutrient helps adjust the pH level of your soil and helps
plants maintain their green leaves. Also assists plant in the use of nitrogen fertilizer.
- Arizona’s Best Soil Sulfur – Acts as a soil conditioner by helping to lower the pH in excessively alkaline soils,
helping to maintain green color in plants. Because of its natural slow-release characteristics, Soil Sulfur can be used any
time of the year either as a pre-plant soil conditioner or after planting. Avoid application during periods of extreme heat
in the summer months.
- Hi-Yield Soil Sulfur – Increases acid in soil and is ideal for vegetables, lawns and any plant that thrives in acidic
- E.B. Stone Naturals Soil Sulfur – This essential plant nutrient helps adjust the pH level of your soil and helps plants maintain their green leaves. Also assists plant in the use of nitrogen fertilizer.
- Steer Manure – Gro-Well El Toro Steer Manure Compost is a great way to amend soil in the spring and fall. Best for gardens and seed covers.
- Vermiculite – Uni-Gro® Vermiculite is an organic soil additive that increases water retention, aeration and slowing nutrient release. Excellent for use in containers.
- Volcanic Pumice – E.B. Stone Organics Volcanic Pumice is a natural way to improve aeration and water retention. Great for use with potting soils and containers.
- Worm Castings – We offer two types of Worm Castings:
- E.B. Stone Organics Super Earthworm Castings – An ideal addition to local soils, this organic soil conditioner helps
improve the overall health of your soil. Registered cdfa.
- WormGold® Plus Pure Worm Castings – Great organic addition to potting soil mixes. In addition to being used as a soil amendment, can also be used for making compost tea.
- E.B. Stone Organics Super Earthworm Castings – An ideal addition to local soils, this organic soil conditioner helps improve the overall health of your soil. Registered cdfa.
- Timing – How Often:
- Vegetables – Fertilize vegetables monthly
- Fruit & Shade Trees – Fertilize 3 times per year; in February, May and September.
- Shrubs – Every 2 months
- Perennials – Monthly
- Annuals – Monthly
- Natives –We recommend fertilizing natives with fish or seaweed in February, May and September—only if nutrient deficiencies occur.
- Types of Fertilizers: SummerWinds Nursery carries a number of types of fertilizers, including: organic fertilizer, liquid, water soluble and granular fertilizer.
- NPK Labelling of Fertilizers: The
numbers on the bag associated with each letter are the percentages of that element. For example, 16-4-8 is 16% nitrogen, 4% phosphorus,
and 8% potassium.
- Nitrogen (N) – helps with leaf development and makes your lawn green.
- Phosphorous (P) – aids in root development.
- Potassium (K) – Vital for disease resistance and root development.
- Nitrogen (N) – helps with leaf development and makes your lawn green.
- E.B. Stone Fertilizers – SummerWinds Nursery carries a wide variety of fertilizers, including those from E.B. Stone Organics.
Some of our favorites are:
- All Purpose Plant Food – E.B.
Stone Organics All Purpose Plant Food 5-5-5 is an organic fertilizer ideal for vegetables, trees, shrubs, lawns and flower gardens.
- Azalea, Camellia & Gardenia Food – E.B. Stone Organics Azalea, Camellia & Gardenia Food 5-5-3 is ideal for
use with azalea, camellia and gardenias, as well as other acid-loving plants such as, rhododendrons, fuchsia and evergreen conifers.
- Citrus & Fruit Tree Food – E.B. Stone Organics Citrus & Fruit Tree Food 7-3-3 is
ideal for use with citrus trees, fruit trees and other fruit producing plants such as berries. Also good for shade trees, flowering
trees and vines. Registered cdfa. Pair with E.B. Stone Naturals Soil Sulfur.
- Hibiscus & Palm Food – E.B. Stone Organics Hibiscus & Palm Food 6-5-3 is ideal for palms, hibiscus and other
tropical plants. Registered cdfa.
- Rose & Flower Food – E.B. Stone Organics Rose & Flower Food 5-6-3 is
suggested for roses, perennials and other flowering plants. Long lasting, slow release nitrogen. Registered cdfa. Use with E.B. Stone Organics Rose Grow Planting Mix.
- Sure Start – E.B. Stone Organics Sure Start 4-6-2 is ideal for newly transplanted
plants. It encourages the development of strong roots. Registered cdfa.
- Tomato & Vegetable Food – E.B. Stone Organics Tomato & Vegetable Food 4-5-3
can be used throughout your vegetable garden, in addition to being used with soft fruits (such as strawberries) to produce high-quality
fruits and vegetables. Registered cdfa.
- Ultra-Bloom Plant Food – E.B. Stone Organics Ultra Bloom Plant Food 0-10-10 is good for all plants, particularly Azaleas, Camellias and Rhodenderons. Add to flowering plants when buds begin to form. In addition to encouraging the development of flowers and fruit, this fertilizer also helps plants resist disease. Registered cdfa.
- All Purpose Plant Food – E.B. Stone Organics All Purpose Plant Food 5-5-5 is an organic fertilizer ideal for vegetables, trees, shrubs, lawns and flower gardens. Registered cdfa.
- Grow More Hawaiian Bud & Bloom – This 5-50-17 instant water soluable, urea-free concentrate is made with chelated micronutrients. Specially formulated for all flowerings, fruiting and colored foliage plants, including: Anthuriums, Bird of Paradise, Bougainvillias, Flowering Vines, Lilikoi, Ginger, Hydrangeas, Mums, Plumeria, Tomatoes, Impatiens, Annual, Perennials and Bulbs. Highly recommended as a starter and transplant solution.
- Fertilizers for Cactus & Succulents:
- Cactus Juice – This 1-7-6 fertilizer from Grow More provides calcium and other nutrients to cacti and succulents.
- Succulent Plant Food – This 0.5-1-1 fertilizer from Miracle-Gro® instantly feeds succulents and cacti. Specially formulated for use with all cacti, jade, aloe, and other popular succulents.
- Fertilizers for Lawns
- Green Maker – This 18-0-6 premium lawn food from Ferti-lome is especially formulated for alkaline soils. 10% sulfur helps correct excessive alkalinity, while 5% iron makes lawns green.
- New Lawn Starter Fertilizer – This 9-13-7 fertilizer from Ferti-lome is designed to help grass seed and sod develop roots and mature stems before rapid growth begins. Helps sod to establish. Can be applied with grass seed or immediately after seed is sown.
- Companion Planting
- Pest & Weed Controls
- Container Gardening
- Raised Garden Beds
- Cool Season Vegetables
- Grow Your Own Tasty Garden
- Warm Season Vegetables
Watch our "How to Prep Your Soil" video below:
At SummerWinds Nursery, our Trusted Garden Advisors are waiting to answer all of your questions about how to create the ideal growing conditions for your plants. Visit your local SummerWinds Nursery today.