There is nothing more rewarding than harvesting summer vegetables fresh from your own vegetable garden.
At SummerWinds Nursery, we can help you find the best vegetables for your summer harvest, as well as information on current vegetables in season. In general, most fruiting plants are considered spring/warm season vegetables. In the Greater Phoenix Metro Area, most warm season vegetables are planted in the spring and harvested in the summer, or protected through the summer for an early fall harvest.
While summer vegetables thrive in the heat, temperatures that are too high will reduce the quality of your crops. Your summer
garden will do best when the evening temperatures are cooler. For a summer garden, mid-February is the ideal time for seed transplanting. These
plants will survive the summer heat with plenty of water and TLC. When the temperatures finally drop, the summer vegetables will stop producing.
Below is a list of warm season vegetables that you can find seasonally at SummerWinds Nursery.
Warm Season Vegetables A - Z
- Artichokes, Globe – (Cynara scolymus) & Jerusalem – (Helianthus tuberosus) Note: Once established, this plant is a perennial.
- Beans, Snap/Bush – (Phaseolus vulgaris)
- Beans – (Lima, Pinto & Yardlong)
- Black-eyed Peas – (Vigna unguiculata subsp. unguiculata)
- Carrots – (Daucus carota)
- Corn, Sweet – (Maize)
- Cucumbers – (Cucumis sativus)
- Eggplant – (Solanum melongena)
- Fennel – (Foeniculum vulgare)
- Melon, Muskmelon: includes some Cantaloupes but not all – (Cucumis melo)
- Melon, Watermelon – (Citrullus lanatus)
- Okra – (Abelmoschus esculentus)
- Onions, Green/Scallions – (Allium wakegi)
- Onions, Shallots – (Allium cepa var. aggregatum)
- Peanuts – (Arachis hypogaea)
- Peppers – (Capsicum)
- Potatoes, Sweet – (Ipomoea batatas)
- Pumpkins – (Cucurbita)
- Radishes – (Raphanus raphanistrum subsp. sativus) Note: Bitter in hot weather.
- Squash, Summer: e.g., Zucchini – (Many varieties of Cucurbita pepo)
- Squash, Winter: e.g., Butternut, Acorn, Spaghetti – (Cucurbita maxima)
- Tomatillos – (Physalis philadelphica)
- Tomatoes – (Solanum lycopersicum)
Warm Season Companion Plants
- Asparagus – (Asparagus officinalis)
- Basil – (Ocimum basilicum)
- Broccoli – (Brassica oleracea var. italica)
- Chard – (Beta vulgaris subsp. vulgaris)
- Kale – (Brassica oleracea var. sabellica)
- Marigolds – (Tagetes)
- Parsley – (Petroselinum crispum)
- Strawberries – (Fragaria × ananassa) Note: shade in hottest months
- Sunflower – (Helianthus)
- Tarragon – (Artemisia dracunculus)
- Companion Planting
- Pest & Weed Controls
- Container Gardening
- Raised Garden Beds
- Cool Season Vegetables
- Soils, Amendments & Fertilizers
- Grow Your Own Tasty Garden