Grow Delicious Winter Veggies & Herbs from Seed!
Stop by your local SummerWinds Nursery to peruse our wide selection of fall and winter high-quality seeds—from organic and non-GMO certified to heirloom. Now in stock—the complete line of fall/winter seeds from Botanical Interests and The Native Seed Company.
Botanical Interests' goal is to inspire and educate consumers so that they can create beautiful and prolific gardens. Their seed packets are designed to give customers the information they need to be a more successful gardener. They offer many heirloom seed varieties, a large selection of USDA Certified Organic seed varieties, all their seed is untreated and tested for its germination rate, and they do not use any GMOs.
Vegetable & Herb Seeds for Fall Planting:
- Artichokes, Globe & Jerusalem
- Beans, Snap/Bush
- Bok Choy/Pak Choi
- Brussels Sprouts
- Collard Greens
- Lettuce, Head & Leaf
- Mustard Greens
- Onions, Bulb
- Onions, Green/Scallions
- and more...
To learn more about fall and winter vegetables, herbs, companion plants and more, click the link below:
The Native Seed Company
At SummerWinds Nursery, we sell a variety of native flower seeds that contain species that were chosen for their ease of germination, and for their ability to flourish in our desert climate conditions, including:
- Desert Marigold (Baileya multiradiata): Silvery gray, fuzzy foliage with abundant bright yellow flowers. Blooms February through October.
- Firewheels (Gaillardia pulchella): Also known as "Blanket flower" or "Indian Blanket". Popular annual that grows 1 to 2 feet tall with showy 1 to 2 inch flowers with bright heads often with red coloring at the base, blending into yellow tips, each with jagged edges at the ends of the petals. Blooms February through October.
- Mexican Hat (Ratibida columnaris): This showy, daisy like, perennial is easy to grow and the 2 to 3 feet tall stems of bright red flowers with yellow tips, make a wonderful backdrop in your wildflower bed! Blooms April through October.
- Penstemon (Penstemon eatonii): Also known as "Firecracker Penstemon". One of the showier penstemons, these magnificant bright red, tubular flowers sometimes exceed 2 inches in length. This perennial has sprawling erect grayish blue waxy stems boasting beautiful flower stalks. Blooms February through April.
- Birds & Butterfly: A specially selected mix of flowers that are known to be enticing attractants for both birds and butterflies! Flowers: Lupine, California Poppy, Cosmos, Coreopsis, Purple Coneflower, Scarlet Sage, Desert Marigold, Sweet Alyssum, Four O'Clock and Penstemeon. Blooms March through November.
- Desert Bloom: A classic mix of beautiful desert wildflowers, specially selected for their ability to thrive in arid, desert climates. Flowers: Desert Marigold, Cassia Covesii, Desert Lupine, Blue Bells, California Poppy and Penstemon Eatonii. Blooms February through April.
- Sonoran Desert: A mix of native desert seeds designed to cover disturbed areas where re-growth and erosion control is sought. Mix includes some wildflowers, grasses and bushes: Creosote, Triangle Bursage, Encella Farinosa, Desert Marigold, Cassia Covesii, Desert Globe Mallow and Needle Grama. Can be planted all year long, with spring bloom on many of the species.
- Summer Bloom: A delightful mix of both annuals and perennials that will begin to bloom at the end of spring, and stay strong until possibly the first frost! This mix can grow tall and be enjoyed throughout the summer, allowing for light bouquet cutting to bring into the house, as well! Flowers: Firewheels, Desert Marigold, Mexican Hat, Dog Fir and Coreopsis. Blooms April through November.
What's in Your Soil?
At SummerWinds, we have a wide variety of soils, amendments and fertilizers designed for your every gardening need...
Mykos™ Pure Mycorrhizal Inoculant
Pure | Fresh | Alive
Mykos mycorrhizae is a natural and organic species of beneficial soil fungi that creates a "sponge-like" mass which collects and stores nutrients and water, increasing the uptake of both. This single species of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi contains only Rhizophagus intraradices, formally known as Glomus intraradices. Mykos does not contain any other microbes such as trichoderma or ecto-mycorrhizae.
- Rhizophagus intraradices 300 propagules/gram
- Improves efficiency of nutrients and water
- Fastest and most aggressive colonizing mycorrhizae
- Enchances root structures for added uptake capabilities
- Can increase yields and secondary metabolites
- Great for vegetables, fruits, herbs and flowers
- Protects your plants against drought and heat stress
Azos™ Beneficial Bacteria
Growth Promoting Bacteria
Azos is an all-natural, growth promoting, Nitrogen fixing bacteria ideal for cloning and transplanting. Azos converts nitrogen into a usable form that is readily available to the plant. Nitrogen is critical for forming vegetative matter and supporting abundant growth. Azos promotes growth, while boosting natural root development.
- Azospirillum brasilense 1,000,000 CFU/g
- Natural growth promoter
- Use for rooting cutting and transplants
- Benefitical bacteria
- Fixes atmospheric nitrogen into plant available food
- Great for vegetables, fruits, herbs and flowers
Other Amendments & Fertilizers
You can fix existing poor soil by amending it with missing nurtients. SummerWinds Nursery sells a number of soil amendments and fertilizers, including these—which we recommend for your tomatoes, vegetables, seeds and more:
- SummerWinds Natural & Organic Planting Mix
- Happy Frog® Soil Conditioner
- Arizona's Best Gypsum
- HuMic Granular Acid (by Fertilome) - This soil amendment is beneficial for vegetable gardens, flowerbeds, indoor plants and compost bins. This highly concentrated soil conditioner is derived from decomposed organic plant materials and is designed to enhance nutrient uptake, stimulate soil microbial life, and encourage root development.
- E.B. Stone Organics Tomato & Vegetable Food - This 4-5-3 fertilizer can be used throughout your vegetable garden, in addition to being used with soft fruits (such as strawberries) to produce high-quality fruits and vegetables. Registered cdfa.
Want to learn even more?
For information about how to prepare your soil, read our blog Prepare Your Soil for Fall Planting in 3 Easy Steps....
Click on the link below to explore more Soils, Amendements and Fertilizers.