What to Do with Pumpkins? 3 Creative Activities & A Delicious Recipe
Pumpkins and fall go hand-in-hand. We love everything from carved pumpkins and pumpkin pie to pumpkin spice flavored treats and pumpkin decorations.
Are you looking for the perfect pumpkins? Your local SummerWinds Nursery has a wide variety that are perfect for the season!
Keep reading for a few favorite ways to use them this fall.
3 Activities for Your Pumpkins
- Table Décor
- Grow Your Own
- Pumpkin Bowling
Once you’ve had your fun with your pumpkin, it’s time to eat! Here is an especially delicious fall recipe to enjoy.
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting If you’re going to parties and don’t want to bring traditional candy, bringing these pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting Brown Eyed Baker as a special treat.
For the Cupcakes:
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Make the Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, both sugars and the vegetable oil until they’re completely combined, making sure to break up any chunks of brown sugar so no lumps remain. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time. Add the flour mixture in two additions, folding with a rubber spatula until no flour pockets remain.
- Divide the batter between the baking cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 18 to 22 minutes. Cool them in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the Frosting: With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cream cheese, vanilla and salt, and continue to beat for an additional 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the powdered sugar gradually; mix until smooth and combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Increase the mixer speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Using a decorating bag and tip or an offset spatula, frost the tops of the cupcakes. The cupcakes can stay at room temperature for a few hours, but should be refrigerated for longer-term storage, up to 4 days.
About SummerWinds Nursery: SummerWinds Garden Centers is a leading high-end retailer of garden and nursery products. Headquartered in Boise, Idaho, SummerWinds operates retail nurseries in the greater Phoenix, Arizona area, and in Silicon Valley, California, making it one of the largest independent retail nursery companies in the west. SummerWinds appeals to both the serious and casual gardeners, with a broad selection of premium gardening products and a friendly and knowledgeable staff. www.summerwindsnursery.com