Orchids - Uniquely Beautiful and Long Lasting
Due to their namesake, orchids are associated with fertility, virility, and sexuality. These associations, coupled with their exotic appearance, have given them a long history of being associated with love, fertility and elegance throughout various cultures and time periods. Orchid Symbolism and Color:
- White orchids symbolize innocence and purity, as well as elegance and reverence.
- Pink orchids symbolize femininity, grace, and joy.
- Yellow orchids symbolize friendship and new beginnings. They make great gifts for a friend to celebrate an accomplishment.
- Purple orchids symbolize royalty and admiration, and are traditionally given as a sign of respect.
- Orange orchids symbolize pride, enthusiasm, and boldness.
Anyone can grow orchids in the home without living in the tropics or having the luxury of a greenhouse. Today, houseplants are a regular part of home decoration. If you have ever successfully grown a houseplant, or enjoyed a flowering potted plant, you can grow orchids. The good news is there are plenty of options to give yourself a beautiful display of flowering orchids year round. Hint: Orchids grown in the home during the colder months will respond wonderfully well to being summered outdoors in a protected area. This will also extend the range of plant selections available to you.
No flowering plant will do well without sufficient light. In the home, where most available light is incidental (that is, at an angle, and therefore less intense), plants will need to be fairly close to an east or west, or lightly shaded south, window. A north window will rarely provide adequate light. If light is too intense in a southern exposure, a sheer curtain could be hung to diffuse the light. Extra hours of light will not entirely compensate for poor light quality. Indeed, extending daylength artificially to more than 16 hours can be detrimental to the plants’ health and often will prevent flowering.
The plants will be comfortable where you are comfortable. Typical home temperatures of 55 to 60 F at night and 75 F during the day are fine. Guard against excessively low or high temperatures immediately adjacent to glass windows. Some leeway for seasonal fluctuations is allowed.
Rugs, drapes and some furniture act as giant wicks that absorb the home’s humidity, as do heating and air-conditioning systems. Also, it is not advisable to have the home’s interior be too wet to accommodate the plants. Solutions: Group plants to take advantage of their collective transpiration (exhaled moisture) or place them on gravel-filled humidity trays to raise the humidity to 50 percent.
Care must be taken to balance the rapid surface drying that can take place in the home with the plants’ lower metabolic processes resulting from lower light. Each particular type of orchid will retain its basic water needs, whether for moisture or periodic dryness. The home grower also needs to give thought to the logistics of watering. You can carry plants to the sink or even outdoors (when weather allows), or water them in place and remove excessive water so the containers do not sit in water.
Fertilize regularly at a low dosage of approximately one-quarter strength with a fertilizer appropriate to the potting mix in which your plants are grown. Fertilize less often during the winter.
Verandah Orchid Pottery
Pacific Home and Garden pottery
Available in an assortment of colors and two beautiful styles
E.B. Stone Organics Orchid Bark
Choose from Medium or Fine in an 8 Quart or 1 cu.ft. Bag
- 100% Natural Orchid Bark
- Perfect for all indoor or outdoor container gardening
- Excellent for all types of orchids except Cymbidiums they prefer Orchid Mix
Grow More Orchid Food
- Premium Food
- Pink - 30-10-10 Growth Formula – High nitrogen formula to counteract the nitrogen-robbing characteristics of fir bark potting media.
- Green - 20-10-10 Urea-Free Formula: Good urea-free nitrogen availability under a wide range of temperature and climate conditions.
- Water Soluble Orchid Food
- For orchids and all acid-loving plants
- Feed every 2 weeks for colorful, beautiful orchids
- Helps promote deep, rich leaf color, beautiful blooms, and strong root development
- Ready-to-Use Orchid Plant Food Mist
- Instantly provides nutrients and moisture for beautiful orchids
- Mist feeds instantly
- Apply to roots and growing media once a week
- Orchid Plant Food Spikes
- Helps promote green leaves and beautiful blooms
- Feeds up to 2 months
- Feed orchids only when plants are in active growth
At SummerWinds Nursery, we carry the widest variety of the best houseplants, including orchids. Stop in today and let one of our Trusted Garden Advisors help you choose a houseplant or orchid for a loved one or for your home.
Source: Flower Meaning & Symbolism | http://www.flowermeaning.com/
Source: American Orchid Society | aos.org